Having a slick website is only half the battle. Your site might look wonderful, tell your story, have a great range of products for sale and provide a seamless journey to the checkout. However, if your audience can’t find it, then it is like opening your glossy new shop on a dingy out of town back street.
Optimising your website for search engines is crucial to successfully attract traffic. This graph from Smart Insights shows how important it is to top the rankings. There is a sharp drop off from number one onwards.
Here are our tips to get you to the top.
Start at the beginning
- Working out your SEO strategy should be part of the planning process within a new website brief. If you are working on an existing site, plan out what you want to do. Then make the changes to implement your SEO plan.
- Consider keywords and search terms to inform the structure and content of your site.
- Organise the hierarchy and navigation of your site – this helps visitors to find the content they want quickly and search engines to establish what is important.
- Create brief, accurate and unique page titles. Each page title should be different to assist search engines to establish how it differs from the others.
- Use the meta tag descriptions which can elaborate on the title with more information to help search engines and users to establish the content of the page. Again, each summarised description should be unique to the page.
- Use headings to emphasize important text.
- Use the URL to convey useful content information.
Is more informative than https://www.alberon.co.uk/blog/1234567
- Keep your text simple, well written and easy to read.
- The site must be mobile friendly i.e. have a responsive design (A format that fits the device size, so that it displays properly). Most searches are now made on mobile rather than desktop devices. Search engine algorithms are now favouring sites that load to mobile devices quickly.
- Make sure that all the technical details are taken care of – we can do that! See our blog on Technical SEO and get in touch with us,
- Get help. You can use tools to help with your SEO like Yoast which is a WordPress plugin which will help you to analyse content and focus on your keyword.
Keep content up to date and relevant
- Always consider your target audience and the search terms that would be used to find relevant information. Then provide the relevant content!
- Keep your website lively and fresh with a steady stream of new content, news items, research and useful resources.
- Get new employees to review the website when they join. They may notice inconsistencies that your eye has passed over.
Optimize your images
- Provide an alternative text description for images in case they can’t be displayed. This provides the search engine with information about the image.
It’s an ongoing engagement
- Analyse visitor’s behaviour on your site to see what is working using a tool such as Google Analytics.
- Check for broken links, there are tools that do this for you.
- Keep track of your SEO rankings. If they drop don’t panic, diagnose and go back over the plan.
- Don’t stop. Keep on refreshing your content and your website.
If you need advice on SEO for your website, we can conduct a thorough analysis and make recommendations, overhaul the site or work with you on developing a new website. Contact the team for more information.