Alberon is a thriving software and web development company. We build web-based software applications and websites, and we work with a range of companies and other organisations in and around Oxfordshire. We’re looking for a skilled PHP developer with at least 2 years commercial experience to join our team. This is a great opportunity for the right person to join us and work on an exciting and varied range of projects.
First and foremost, you must be passionate about building high quality, easy to use websites & software.
You should be comfortable liaising with clients directly, both during the development phase and providing technical support in later phases. We use both Waterfall and Agile depending on the needs of our clients and the project. Experience of Agile would be handy, but if you don’t have this, there is the opportunity to learn.
Systems we work with
As a development agency we get to work with a wide variety of different software. Experience of / interest in any of the following would be helpful, but none are essential – it is more important that you can learn new systems quickly and develop to a high standard.
- Our preferred CMS is WordPress. We have also worked with a range of others including Drupal, Joomla, CMS Made Simple and some bespoke systems.
- Our preferred MVC framework for application development is Laravel. We have also worked with Symfony, CakePHP and Zend Framework.
- We have recently started using Sass and CoffeeScript for frontend development.
- We use Git for version control and deployment.
- Our development servers run Debian. We manage these using the command line (SSH).
- Our live servers run CentOS with cPanel/WHM. These have a web-based control panel, but we sometimes need to use the command line for more advanced configuration.
- We use Campaign Monitor for email marketing.
- We optimise websites for SEO, and we also help clients with social media strategies (Facebook, Twitter, etc). This sometimes includes integrating websites with social media sites using their APIs.
We sometimes work with other technologies too, such as Ruby, Python, Node.js, ASP.NET, Classic ASP, Microsoft Access, FileMaker Pro, or whatever our clients need help with, and we develop mobile apps – so there could be an opportunity for you to expand into these other areas if you are interested.
More about the job
This is a great opportunity to work in a varied development role, working on exciting projects alongside our relaxed, friendly and professional team. Because we work across many different industries, we get to use a variety of different technologies so there’s always something new to learn! As a company we’re committed to keeping at the cutting edge and we’re looking for someone who’d like to help us do this and develop their own skills at the same time.
The office is in central Oxford within walking distance of public transport. Car parking is available too.
Hours: 37 per week. We’re flexible about working hours, within reason.
Salary: £24,000 to £30,000 depending on experience.
Holiday entitlement: 20 days plus 8 bank holidays.
Free parking close to Oxford city centre
Flexible working hours
Regular developer team meetings and training sessions
Training and personal development
Free tea & coffee and snacks